Monday, January 5, 2015

Getting back on Track!

At the end of 2013 I decided it was finally time to take a more proactive approach to my health.  My lab results at the doctor were always good, but lets face it I was overweight.  I approached the process completely differently from where I normally would have, with setting up and being consistent with an exercise program not a diet.  In my life I've always struggled with my weight and before the first thing I'd do would be to find a diet program.  I've done them all, even the crazy ones like the cabbage soup diet or the cans of slimfast for meals.

When I was younger and swimming 5 days a week it was easy to get exercise in, but once I left life at the pool it was really hard.  I was left not knowing what I'd like.  I can't run because after 6 knee surgeries that's just not an option, besides I find it tedious and boring.  I hate gyms!  As a PTA and Athletic Trainer I find myself distracted at the gym by people using poor mechanics or lifting way to much.  It makes me want to hand out business cards, which might be a good marketing strategy, but it's not a way to focus on your health.  My anxiety level left group fitness classes mostly off the list, the idea of going to one by myself was too much.

So what did I do?  I started walking the dog 30 minutes a day.  It might sound simple, but it got me going.  I put an earbud in(just one because I want to know what's going on around me), turned on the ipod and went.  Maddie was oh so excited to go everyday and begged me until we went.  It was good for her and me too.  After a month or so one of my dear friends started to teach a yoga class at our church.  It was a safe place for me to go where I didn't have to be intimidated about being new or not being able to do everything.  The best part: I found I love doing yoga.  Mind you my body will probably never let me do armstands and I can't twist myself into a pretzel yet, but it works for me.

The results after a year: I'm down 40lbs.  For the first time in a very long time my Doctor said she was proud of what I had accomplished.

So as 2014 came to a close I found that stress(like my hearing about my elbow work injury being postponed for the 5th time), several elbow injections and the cold weather made it very hard to stay consistent with my exercise program but my body continued to crave exercise.  This week as the new year came I started anew.  I'm doing yoga daily this month and still walking.

Here are a few of my favorite things:

1. www.yogawithadriene.com  I love her classes and they're free!!!!!! She has a great sense of humor and makes it fun to work out.  I'm currently doing her new 30 days of yoga series that started Jan 1.  The series will be up after the 30 days are over so you can start anytime.

2. www.grokker.com it's also free and has tons of different classes to do: yoga, pilates and many more. A great place to start and try different things until you find what works for you.

3. Green and Peppermint tea: I brew this by the gallon to have in my fridge.  It's great to drink and has no calories. I usually drink this instead of just plain water when I workout.

4. Workout clothes from target and walmart.  As I have lost weight I've treated myself to some new workout wear along the way.  I love the clearance rack at target and walmart has danskin and avia brands that are very reasonable in price.

5. My yoga blocks from Walmart.  They allow me to do poses that my shortwaisted upper body would otherwise have difficulty with.  They are one of the few places that sell a two pack for under $10.  Most single blocks are that much at other places.http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lotus-Yoga-Blocks-Pink/28132534

So as this new year starts start something good for you!  As my favorite yogi, Adriene says,"Find what feels good".  For me it's yoga and walking.  For you the possibilities are endless.  Just take that first step, trust me it will be worth it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment